Ekko’s main download folder includes a child theme. A WordPress child theme allows you to apply custom code changes to your site. Using a child theme ensures your customizations will not be overwritten, even if you update the parent theme.
Installing Ekko Child Theme from the WordPress admin dashboard
- Head to Appearance > Themes.
- Click the Add New button at the top of the screen and click the Upload Theme button.
- Upload the ekko-child.zip file from your computer and click Install Now.
- Activate the Ekko Child theme.
- Once you activate the child theme, you will see a notification message to install and activate the required & recommended plugins.
- Install the following required plugins: WPBakery Page Builder, Slider Revolution, Redux Framework, KeyDesign Addon, Contact Form 7 and Breadcrumb NavXT. The WooCommerce plugin is recommended only if you are planning on building a website with eCommerce capabilities. Read more about it here.
- Once you have installed the required plugins, proceed with the Demo Contents import.
Why use a Child Theme?
There are a few reasons why you would want to use a child theme:
- If you modify a theme directly and it is updated, then your modifications may be lost. By using a child theme you will ensure that your modifications are preserved.
- Using a child theme can speed up development time.
- Using a child theme is a great way to learn about WordPress theme development.